Wednesday 20 January 2021

My Disastrous "New Normal"

 


Hi! It's me again, let me tell you more about my life, to be precise... my education life. "It all started with my mom, then my dad, and they f
ell in love and had me. "(quote from a tik tok user, @steerling) well, that's that 
! Just kidding.


When I was born I guess you could say I was homeschooled, I was taught by my mom, dad, and all our relatives, although they were the basics and were simple I appreciated it. I only admitted to school during Kinder 1, I missed nursery.

From there on I learned with fellow students and my teachers, I was considered a fast learner and I have always been able to speak up when I need help with the lessons from the teachers, you know.... a face-to-face situation, let's skip ahead. 


Ever since a novel virus suddenly popped out... The countries were in panic, because it apparently was contagious, and thus it became a huge talk among students and teachers were spreading awareness. In a few weeks they started to quarantine everyone and advising that all are to stay indoors and practice social distancing. I was worried because the school year wasn't over yet and that we were supposed to be defending our research project. We were told it'd only be for a week, until thing have gone bad and that the school year was over. 

So after a long summer, feeling like we were under house arrest all summer... We finally get to have school again, what shocked me was that we would be at home learning. Given the choice whether we would like modular or digital, I had to pick digital so that less paper were wasted. It started ok, I was able to keep up and the schedule that were given to us were pretty specific. 

So yeah, few weeks into the "new normal" way of learning... things for me went  out of hand. I mentioned I was digital right? well that meant using either my phone or my laptop or both for school, ok so what does this have to do? Imagine typing your answers and then a notification for a game, text, order, delivery, or etc popped up. You guess it ! I took a peek and ultimately end up using too much of time looking into that notification, meaning lesser time for modules. This was so often that there were a lot of activities I forget to do or miss, it was then I found myself thinking about a lot of things about myself, myself from the past, and myself in the future. I was so afraid of how things would go if I don't stop getting easily distracted, another issue I found out is that I won't be able to really understand the lesson all that well due to the lack of guidance in explanation of the lesson and due to the modules lacking information on some topics which leaves me confused. Specifically math has been hard, I mean... I'm not bad in math, but 'm also not good at it, although throughout the years I've never really had a problem with it until quarantine. It was hard to comprehend the material so ultimately it affected my answers for the tasks. I thought long and hard why, and I came to the conclusion that the reason for this is that throughout the years I've always been watching how the teacher solves problems and formulas that were explained, I watched them break down the problem and slowly solve it, step-by-step. The difference now is that although it seems that the material was explained step-by-step, I don't know how it's actually done, like, I can't follow. I'm always saying "huh? how did it become like that?" so I find myself spending a lot of time trying to re-answer the example problem, when I get to the actual task, there would be a problem more complex than the example that usually a teacher explains back when it were face-to-face.

Well enough about math, and let me end this article with an opinion. I'd rather we go back to the "Old normal" and not have this "New normal" for the next few years, although I am concerned about the Virus, it's still hard to accept this "new normal", I see more disadvantages for both teachers and students, than advantages. That is all and thank you for listening to me, until next time



Photos taken from:

https://info.umkc.edu/unews/top-5-stress-management-tips-for-college-students/

https://www.dreamstime.com/illustration/class-kid-stressed.html

https://www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/preschool-class?phrase=preschool%20class&sort=mostpopular

https://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/online-class

No comments:

Post a Comment

My second Quarter